Jakarta -President Joko Widodo asked related agencies to carry out repairs, safeguards, and supervision of tsunami detection devices throughout Indonesia.
This was conveyed in response to conditions in the field that showed that many tsunami detection devices were no longer functioning because they were damaged, stolen, and because of the absence of a maintenance budget.
“This is the need for safeguarding tools that are very useful for detecting both earthquakes and tsunamis so that we also need awareness with the community,” Jokowi said at Merdeka Palace, Tuesday (10/10/2018).
He also asked the community not to damage or take earthquake detection devices. Not only that, Jokowi ordered that the tsunami detection device called the tsunami buoy be guarded. The existence of these tools is very important in detecting events.
Previously, the Head of the Information Center for Data and Public Relations of the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) Sutopo Purwo Nugroho had said the tsunami detection device had not functioned since 2012.
Until Monday (1/10) at 1:00 p.m., BNPB recorded that victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Palu City, Donggala Regency, and surrounding areas had scoured 844 people.
The details, as many as 821 fatalities were recorded in the City of Palu, 11 fatalities in Donggala Regency, and 12 fatalities in Parigi Moutong District. To date, 744 dead have been identified.
Sutopo explained that the victims died from being crushed by collapsed buildings. Meanwhile, the number of victims lost to date reaches 90 people.