JAKARTA -History will record a meeting between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore, June 12, 2018. Discussions about the nuclear issue between the two countries have been longstanding.
In cuitannya on the official Twitter account, Tuesday (12/06/2018), Trump mentioned the real deal that can be decided after his meeting with Kim. In that crae, Trump as committed to this meeting will result in a solution of a long nuclear debate between Uncle Sam’s country and North Korea (North Korea).
Here’s a long trail of nuclear-related discussions between the US and North Korea, as quoted Reuters:
- Since 1990, at least 205 negotiations and meetings have been taken by the United States and North Korea with a number of international organizations, in which the US is one of its founders. However, there is no special meeting before the agenda of the two countries meeting in Singapore today.
In the last decade, North Korea has several times ‘warmed up’ by conducting 144 missile launches and nuclear tests.
- The US has repeatedly called on North Korea to halt its nuclear and missile development programs. Almost 90% of their second meeting discussed the program.
- In 1993, North Korea announced its intention to cancel its involvement in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty aka a peaceful nuclear deal. The agreement has been signed by 189 countries to control the dangers of nuclear weapons.
- In 1994, former US President Jimmy Carter visited North Korea at the invitation of Kim Il-sung. Kim agreed to suspend the nuclear program.
- In 2003, North Korea held discussions with five countries: South Korea (Korea), Japan, US, China and Russia over North Korea’s retreat from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
- In 2006, North Korea conducted its first nuclear test. North Korea also canceled its commitments with the five countries and said it would continue to develop its nuclear program.
- In 2017, under the leadership of Kim Jong-un, North Korea claims to have successfully conducted a series of hydrogen bomb tests. In the same year, North Korea launched Intercontinental Ballistic Missile aka inter-continental ballistic missile.
- Also in 2017, the US proposal to impose sanctions on North Korea’s nuclear development measures is agreed by the United Nations. The sanctions are a restriction on North Korea’s coal exports. Thereafter, there are several UN sanctions imposed against the North.
- Many new steps are taken by Kim Jong-un this year as his meeting with South Korean President Moon Jae-in some time ago, as well as meeting the two Koreas in more than a decade. North Korea also scrapped its nuclear test plan at Mount Mantap.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings